During the upgrade of ESXi in my NUC cluster I encountered an error that had something to with available space on the system disk(s). I have my ESXi installed on a USB device because I need to use both internal disks (2) for vSAN when I need it.
To resolve this issue I performed the following steps:
- Download the ESXi Offline Bundle .ZIP
- Logon to the ESXi host with SSH
- Rename the /store folder: # mv /store /store.old
- Remove the /store.old folder: # rm -rf store.old
- Browse to the directory where the ESXi offline bundle is located:
# cd /vmfs/volumes/SYNOLOGY-STORAGE/CIFS\ ISO\ library/VMware/vSphere\ 7.0/
- Perform the update of ESXi via the esxcli:
# esxcli software profile update -d /vmfs/volumes/SYNOLOGY-STORAGE/CIFS\ ISO\ library/VMware/vSphere\ 7.0/VMware-ESXi-7.0.0-15843807-depot.zip -p ESXi-7.0.0-15843807-standard
I hope this is useful for somebody. If there is anything to add or remark, please let me know!